Tuesday, August 28, 2012

TUESDAY TRENDS

This Tuesday Trends post is going to be more of a DIY on studded sneakers.  Anything studded is a huge trend right now, and one of the things I've been itching to get my hands on is a pair of studded converse hi tops.






These sell for about $100-$500....a bit more than I am willing to pay.  And so what did I do?  Make them myself.  It honestly wasn't very expensive either! 



 Here's what you need:

*about 500 8mm pyramid studs.  I got mine Here for only $19 after tax and shipping from Thailand  This site is super cool and there are tons of other great studs and grommets you can get for such a reasonable price!


* A pair of hi top sneakers.  I found mine at Plato's closet for $14.  They aren't converse, but I still liked the look of them.  If you aren't converse type of person, try any other style of shoe....heels, boots, flats...whatever!
* a pair of small needle nose pliers.  SMALL is the key.  It's very hard to work with standard size pliers.


Now to begin.  When I first made the decision that I wanted to attempt this project, I had an overbearing fear of how long and tedious this project would be.  But to my surprise, this was actually extremely easy and super quick.  Each side only took about 45 minutes....I think that's pretty good.  Just pop in a movie and start studding away.

First what you will want to do is un-lace your sneakers.  This makes it so much easier to get in there and really be able to stud properly


Applying the studs is next.  If you've never used any type of studs, all you have to do is simply push the prongs through the fabric, then take your pliers and bend the prongs in.  I started my studs near the toe and worked my way back.  I saw that as the best way to make sure things fit properly.  It is your choice how much space(if any) you want between the studs. I chose to do maybe 1-2 mm spaces.



3.5 hours later.......

Yay new shoes!



6 comments:

  1. They turned out really cool! I love the hint of tartan on the boots too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nominated you for the Liebster award! http://styleoftori.blogspot.de/2012/08/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool DIY... really great idea

    http://primpedandprimed.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha awesome DIY!
    Just followed you on your blog, itd be great if you could do the same!(:
    Looking forward to more posts!

    Love, Cherubina

    http://comeproper.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the studs! I'm following,here's my blog
    http://rnrfairytale.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome thanks so much! I'll start that Liebster award response asap!

    ReplyDelete