I've been wanting to do this project for about 2 years now, and I've finally done it! Honestly I don't know why I've waited so long to do this project, it was super easy and fast....for real. It only took about 30 minutes.
Here's what you need:
-plain tiles (I got mine for about $.20 from a hardware store)
-2 sheets of foam board with a sticky back (they are about $.30 each at any craft store)
-clear acrylic sealer
- an old brush
- any magazines or books with photos you want to collage!
1. Cut out all the pieces you want to collage onto the tiles. If you are doing more than just a square on your tiles, make sure to lay out the way you want them before using the modge podge and gluing them down.
2. Once you have everything you want to collage. Paint a thin layer of modge podge over the tile. And start placing the images on your tile. After every layer of pictures, paint modge podge over it. Once everything is laid down paint another thin layer of modge podge over the tile and photos. (make sure to do 1 tile at a time)
3. Continue step 2 with all your tiles. As you are doing the tiles, make sure to check back on one's you've already done and work out all the bubbles. Let them sit to dry
4. Once the tiles have dried, cut the foam sheets into squares a bit smaller than the tiles and stick the square pieces on the backs of each tile.
5. Spray each tile with the acrylic gloss. Let dry.
All done!!! You now have fancy new customized coasters. :)
If you care to you can embellish them with gems, stones, paint...whatever! I'm thinking about adding some gold and gems to mine....haven't decided yet....